Star Savabeel Colt Wins G2 Sarten Memorial

Media Release - Monday October 22

Former top juvenile Sword Of Osman was back in the winning groove at Te Rapa where he took out the Group II James & Annie Sarten Memorial Stakes (1400m) with a bold front-running performance.

Sword of Osman - Trish DunnellA Group One winner during his two-year-old season, the Savabeel gelding had been slow to find his feet in this campaign with two unplaced efforts preceding Monday's much improved showing.

Aided by an inch-perfect ride by Opie Bosson, Sword Of Osman dictated the speed throughout before repelling a strong challenge in the run home by Qiji Express, who failed by just a nose to topple the winner. Race favourite Madison County, the stablemate of the runner-up, made ground late to finish third without threatening the first two home.

Trainer Jamie Richards, who prepares the gelding for the Te Akau Great Sword syndicate, admitted he wasn't sure if his charge had got the victory until the judge declared the result of the photo-finish.

"I wasn't sure but I watched it with David (Ellis) and he said don't give up just yet," he said.

"A big thanks to the team at home who look after him and have done a good job to get him back on track.

"He took a while to come out of the winter but we haven't been able to fault him at home.

"It mapped like he might get it soft enough (in front) but that's probably up to his peak in terms of distance.

Advertisement

"It was a lovely ride by Opie, who rides him in all his gallops. He is such an important part of our team so I'm really thrilled for him."

Richards confirmed Sword Of Osman will now head south to contest the Gr.1 Al Basti Equiworld Dubai New Zealand 2000 Guineas (1600m) at Riccarton on November 10.

"We'll sit down now and make some plans as we will have three or four in the Guineas," he said.

"It's been a good race to us so why not."

Sword Of Osman now sits on the second line of betting on the TAB Fixed Odds market at a $7 quote, a price he shares with stablemate Our Flying Ace behind favourite Madison County who remains steady at $2.80.

The Savabeel gelding was a $165,000 purchase by Te Akau Racing boss, David Ellis, from the Trelawney Stud draft during the Premier session of the 2017 National Yearling Sale. – NZ Racing Desk

Advertisment
More Reading...
Probabeel Shows her Class
Superstar three-year-old Probabeel proved a class above her age-group rivals when she made a winning start to her summer campaign over 1400m at Awapuni on Saturday.
2026 G1 Blue Diamond Field and Barrier Draw
The $2million Group I MRC Blue Diamond Stakes (1200m) is the first Group I race for juveniles in Australia this season and in a race with many chances the barrier draw is all important and if you had trouble splitting the Price Kent trained colts Guest House and Big Sky before the draw… nothing has changed.
Mo'Unga Looking to Bounce Back
Trainer Annabel Neasham is looking forward to stepping out Group One winner Mo’unga in the Gr.2 Chelmsford Stakes (1600m) at Randwick on Saturday, where she is expecting to see an improved run from the entire.
ATIEA nominations close Wednesday midnight
The Australian thoroughbred industry has a final opportunity to recognise its staff, with nominations for the 2026 Australian Thoroughbred Industry Employee Awards (formerly the Stud and Stable Staff Awards) now closing at midnight this Wednesday.
Savabeel Colt Secures Karaka Million Start
Te Akau Racing’s quest to win the Karaka Million 2YO (1200m) for the fourth year in succession was bolstered considerably when Cool Aza Beel ensured his place in the field with a dominant victory at Tauranga on Friday.
Blue Diamond Passport to Stud Career
A colt that wins the Group I MRC Blue Diamond Stakes (1200m) is invariably offered a chance at a commercial stud career and champion sires Redoute’s Choice and Extreme Choice have set the bar high in that regard.
Ocean Park's Ohope Wins to Lead Wexford Stables Charge
Major targets for two and dress rehearsals for others add up to an intriguing day’s racing for a talent-packed Wexford Stables contingent at Ellerslie on Saturday.
Sires With Winners - Tuesday February 17
Here is the full list of 28 stallions which had winners throughout Australasia today with winners and result details.
One to Watch – Newcastle
A $600,000 Proisir filly that is a half-sister to a Group I winner opened her account at Newcastle on Monday.
Eight Supplementaries Added to Premier Catalogue
A total of eight supplementary entries have been confirmed for the Premier Yearling Sale, taking the final catalogue number to 814 lots.